Retail Market Design Service (RMDS) is the “ringfenced” function within ESB Networks responsible for all aspects of the retail electricity market design on behalf of the Commission for Regulation of Utilities.
Following a public consultation the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU) – formerly (CER) – published its decision ( CER/05/081 ) to assign the role of Design Administrator for the retail electricity market to a team to be established within ESB Networks.
Roles and Responsibilities
The role of the Design Administrator involves the cost effective support for and delivery of quality systems that will help achieve the Commission’s objectives of encouraging competition in supply markets and quality of service to all customers.
This role involves the following duties:
- Support and Coordination of the change management process for the retail market
- Maintenance, Publication and Circulation of information relevant to retail market design
- Provision of Secretariat services to the IGG and associated sub-groups
- Supporting market assurance process
- Annual budget
- All-Island Project
- Interaction of retail market group with other relevant groups
Our mission is to provide cost effective, quality delivery of the market design approved by CRU to all market participants.
Portfolio of Services
- Retail Market Design Information Service
- Operational Updates
- Change Control
- Release and cutover co-ordination
- Process Improvement
- New Entrant Service
- Secretariat for retail market forums
- Market assurance co-ordination
- Issue resolution
- Messaging Service
Impartiality and transparency are vital in the role of Design Administrator. The Commission decision, required personnel, reporting and financial separation of RMDS from other parts of ESB and ESB Networks. These measures and others have been implemented:
- RMDS is a distinct, readily identifiable team
- Each team member receives market and service training
- The RMDS team occupies separate offices in 39 Merrion Square, Dublin 2.
- RMDS maintains separate financial records
- RMDS records its activities separately
- RMDS operates to a separate quality manual and quality procedures
- The annual budget and business plan for RMDS will be presented to the Industry Governance Group and approved by CRU
- The RMDS Manager and team meet every eight weeks with CRU
- The RMDS website is separate from that of ESB
The RMDS team aspire to the highest levels of transparency and are continuing to improve transparency throughout all our activities and those in the market in general. RMDS prides itself on its responsiveness and proactive assistance to market participants to ensure that all processes work as smoothly as possible and with minimum cost of participation.
RMDS is committed to delivering the highest quality of service. Our quality procedures have been certified to the IS EN ISO 9001:2008 standard. RMDS is also subject to external Market Audit.